17 Questions with the Operations Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, Mohamed Jinan
Apr, 17 2019
Leading by example as our Operations Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, experienced hotelier Mohamed Jinan, shares his wisdom and stories about his life on the resort and beyond.
1. How does a typical morning start for you at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu?
I start very early around 6:30 am with a quick inspection of the resort before attending to early departures. It will later be followed by a morning meeting with the team.
2. How do you spend your free time?
I love listening to music, reading business editions and re-connecting with my family. I am a family man and being constantly in touch with them is very important to me.
3. What’s your dream travel destination?
Bali, Indonesia. In a way Bali is similar to Maldives with its idyllic beaches, but I also absolutely adore Bali’s glorious mountainous areas, scenic lakes, gorgeous waterfalls, and of course the iconic rice fields.
4. What’s the most Insta-worthy spot on the island?
It’s definitely the Lagoon Villas designed in the shape of a palm frond. Such a perfect spot for a selfie!
5. What would you recommend from the Edible Spa Juice Bar?
Mango Mmoothie, since I am a massive mango lover!
6. Who is your favourite snorkelling buddy?
I would say my colleague Mohamed Haleem, who is our Excursions Guide, so he knows all the great spots.
7. What’s your favourite local dish?
Ah, its roshi with spicy fish sambal. It’s my go-to dish when I am in need of a spicy kick.
8. Your favourite hiding spot in the island?
For me it’s the Coco Cinema corner at the beach. It’s such a perfect green surrounding, and the cool breeze of fresh air has a great meditative vibe.
9. Tell us about a memorable guest experience from your time in the island?
I have so many….though one which comes off the top of my head was meeting a couple last year and explaining the benefits of coconuts which they never had the opportunity to taste before. Hence, I sent a grilled coconut slice platter to their villa and they were so thrilled with my gesture and complimented the unique taste of it. I just find it so perfect since our property Coco Palm symbolises coconut. The best part is they will be travelling back here again this November for another ‘coconutious’ holiday.
10. What do you miss most being away from your family?
Their love and caring etiquettes, especially from my loving daughter, younger sister and brother.
11. Tell us about your ideal Robinson Crusoe experience?
It would definitely be Embudhoo Escape, which is our own private island. It’s the perfect spot to surprise my better half with a romantic evening.
12. 5 things you will pack if you need to spend 1 week at Embudhoo?
Sun cream, snorkeling gear, my mobile, dental kit and of course my favourite chocolate.
13. Earth Day is around the corner. What’s your pledge to save Mother Earth?
I would like to personally be involved in making the island greener by planting endangered trees, and enlightening the local community about our fragile planet.
14. Looking back at your career, what’s your proudest achievement?
My amazing team here at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu keeps me going, and it’s such an honor to lead the team as an Operations Manager.
15. Any advice for a work-life balance lifestyle?
Striking that perfect balance between career and family has always been a challenge. But away from work I like to spend time in nature, exercise, being digitally offline after work, and just having a good laugh with family and friends.
16. What do you love most about working at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu?
The team, lush vegetation around the island, being eco-friendly and most importantly the charm and the island’s natural beauty which exudes such a peaceful ambiance.
17. What does the future hold for Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu?
Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu is one of the very first luxurious resorts opened in the Maldives. The island itself has its own uniqueness with its rustic yet luxurious, organic yet elegant style. We are now celebrating our 21st year in the industry, and we are renowned all around the world for our excellent service. I believe Coco Palm Dhuni Kolu with its natural aura and charm has a great future with our excellent team.