Butternut Squash Ravioli Recipe by Chef Faiz Idrees
Apr, 16 2018
We are absolutely in love with this month’s recipe courtesy of Chef Faiz Idrees, Executive Chef at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu. Using ingredients plucked from the Chef’s Garden, this light and fresh vegetarian dish is the perfect starter for summer dinner parties.
Crunchy Butternut Squash Ravioli stuffed with Sweet Potato and Coconut, served with Pickled Greens and Curry Basil Pesto
Butternut Squash Ravioli
• 1 Butternut Squash, peeled
• 100g Sweet Potato
• 1 Tbsp Grated Coconut
• ½ tsp Lemon Juice
• Fresh Chilli, to taste
1. Use a mandolin or a knife to slice the butternut squash into paper-thin rounds.
2. Place the slices of squash in a bowl of salt water; leave for an hour to soften.
3. Meanwhile, boil the sweet potato with salt. When soft, drain the water and let the potato cool. Mash the sweet potato well with the grated coconut, chilli and lemon juice. Keep the sweet potato stuffing to the side until your butternut squash slices are ready.
4. Rinse the butternut squash slices under running water thoroughly to remove the salt. Pat dry with a kitchen towel and keep until ready to assemble.
• 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
• 2 tsp Fennel Seeds
• 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
• 6- 10 cloves of Garlic, thickly sliced
• ½ Onion, sliced (optional)
• Few sprigs of Dill (optional)
• Onion, cut into small wedges
• 1 Cucumber, sliced
• 1 Beetroot, sliced
For the Pickling Liquid:
• 2 cups White Wine Vinegar
• 2 cups Water
• 2 Tbsp Salt
• 4-6 Tbsp Sugar
1. Wash your vegetables thoroughly before cutting into slices.
2. Bring the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar to a boil in a small pot.
3. In the meantime, prepare your pickling jars. Divide the seeds, garlic slices, onion and dill (if using) between two quart-sized mason jars. Add the onion wedges, cucumber and beetroot slices.
4. Pour the hot pickling liquid into the jars, making sure the contents are submerged. Cover and leave to cool on the counter. After an hour or two, placed in the fridge until needed.
• 2 raw Beetroots
• Thyme Sprigs
1. Wash the beetroots thoroughly. Peel and cut into quarters.
2. Rub the quartered beetroots in oil, salt and thyme. Wrap with aluminium foil and bake in the oven for one hour at 190 degrees Celsius.
3. Let cool, then place into food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Place one teaspoon of the sweet potato and coconut mash in the middle of each round of butternut squash. Fold into half-moon shapes.
Arrange the butternut squash ravioli on a plate, then add pieces of pickled vegetables.
Using a teaspoon, dot small mounds of confit tomato around the ravioli.
Add a spoonful each of the curry basil pesto and the beetroot puree, as much as desired.